Friday, March 17, 2017

Our project was on Nelson Mandela and the South African Apartheid. We did an exhibit as our project type. The South African apartheid was the discrimination of Africans by Europeans. Nelson Mandela was one of many people that tried to end it and played a very large roll in the winning of equality for South Africans.
My favorite thing about our project is the exhibit. I was really worried because we were really behind at one point. We also changed our ideas multiple times so it was very difficult to stick to an idea and then keep doing just that. In the end though it didn't end up too bad. Erin did really well making the background an African flag (even thought she used glitter tape). The text boxes and images also looked really good because the black border made it pop out a lot against the colors of the flag.
The two things that I found most interesting was that so many people were punished for standing up for their rights. I also found it really interesting that it was the South Africans being discriminated against. I found it interesting that so many people were punished because the majority of the time they were peaceful protests. I find really interesting that it's the South Africans were being discriminated against because that's their homeland. That's where they are from, it's the Europeans that came to South Africa and took over the land.
The hardest part of the project was definitely the process paper and the bibliography annotations. They took a lot of time and required lots of thinking. It also forced us to sort our facts out as we found them and that took a lot of time.
I feel like I improved through out this project because it forced me to work really hard to find facts on a specific topic and we also worked with a tight dead line. I've never been very good at finding facts for specific topics/projects so this helped me to improve knowing what facts are really truly important and should be put into the project.
Between now and History Day, I would like to improve out exhibits. I would like to possibly add more to it with things such as pictures and more captions. I would like to add more pictures that correspond more with the actual topic. I would like to add captions to those photos as well that way the point of them gets across.
I am most proud that we actually got it done. A lot of the time we were behind due to our facts but we caught up. Even after one of out partners was gone for two weeks we managed to complete the project without just throwing a bunch of stuff together and hoping that it turned out okay.
Our project related to the theme because Nelson along with others stood up against the South African apartheid and took a stand to eventually get them the freedom they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment